- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, cut in half length wise, and then sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ teaspoons dried thyme
- 8 cups chicken broth (can use store bought or make your own)
- ⅔ cups quinoa, rinsed well
- 2 cups shredded/chopped cooked chicken
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the cooked chicken, I just boiled the chicken in a pot on the stove and chopped it up. You could also bake it, or buy precooked chicken like a rotisserie chicken, it is up to you!
You can also add more/less broth, vegetables, and chicken depending on how you like your soup, but these are some general guidelines for it! Enjoy!
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and quinoa and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the quinoa is cooked, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and allow to cook a few minutes, until the chicken is thoroughly heated.