Had lots of broccoli that needed to be eaten, so we found a recipe for broccoli tots! They are a great way to use broccoli, are much healthier than traditional tater tots, and they are delicious!
(Side note: These can easily be made gluten free by using gluten free breadcrumbs!)
Here’s what you need:
- 12 ounces broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- Italian seasoning
- Optional: 2 tsp Sriracha (for a little extra flavor!)
Here’s how to make them:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Season with salt. Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for about two minutes. Drain and finely chop the cooked broccoli. (you can use a food processor but be careful to not turn the broccoli into a puree if using this).
In a mixing bowl, add broccoli, garlic, cheddar, egg, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and seasonings (add more or less depending on how seasoned you want it). Optional: Add hot sauce of choice. Mix well and chill in the refrigerator for 15–20 minutes.
3. Spray a nonstick baking sheet with nonstick spray. Shape the mixture into tot shapes and spread them evenly on the sheet.
4. Bake for 8–9 minutes. Flip and then bake for an additional 8–9 minutes on the other side until golden brown.
Enjoy with dipping sauce of your choice, or plain! I used ketchup, but enjoy them how you would like!